Thursday, August 4, 2011

David Wright Top 10: #3

Perhaps one of the best things about the blog scene here is the trading.

OK, that IS the best thing! Some bloggers have want lists, or trade bait pages and most everyone has done at least several thousand trade bait posts. Sometimes there's a theme, like the slaughtered remains of a hobby box. Or a set break, or a desperate cry for a certain team or player collector. Other times, it's a couple high end cards, or just some common stuff to use as a trade starter. Other times still, it's as random as random could be. That's how I came across this...

#3- 2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces "Framed Silver" #/25
A long long time ago, Captain Canuck posted a handful of cards as trade bait. It was long enough ago, that I have no idea when exactly it was. So we're looking at a time frame anywhere between 11am this morning and earlier.

This was one of those random lots, and looking around there weren't any real "high end" cards that I noticed. Of course, it was a Wright I didn't have so I inquired about it. "I have a bunch of Braves cards, so this should be easy" I thought.

Quick question, how does a guy from Canada become a Braves fan?


Well, imagine my surprise when I got an email starting with the sentence- "Joe, about the David Wright Masterpieces #/25. What did you have in mind?"

Ummm, not that there were only 25 copies in existence. Definitely not that.

Like I said, I have a bunch of Braves cards, but not THOSE kind of Braves. Unless he was willing to take 500 Braves base or trade for a different team, I was not gonna pull this off. I threw up a hail marry of an offer and sure enough, he accepted.

Yay!

(...Joe)
p.s- Diamond King, email me your address and what team you collect!

2 comments:

  1. Any masterpieces cards is sweet. The silver border makes that one even more sweeter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that trade well my friend.

    Glad to see it find a home, and in the top three too....

    Oh, and you can blame TBS, Skip Carey, Pete Van Wieran and Ernie johnson 162 times a year, every year, growing up watching them and turning me into a Braves fan for life.

    ReplyDelete