How many doubles? Which doubles?
But this one seemed quite good, so I went at it. All in all it did turn out to be a good buy for me. Out of 370 cards, 140 turned out to be doubles of cards I already have and I got 18 "upgrades". So that left me with about 200 cards I needed for $7.60! Not too bad.
All the cards were mainly junk wax, with a few nicer sets from '98-'00. No inserts/parallels and only a couple Piazza cards kept this under the radar and I got to score on it. Here are the few Piazzas I got...
Again, nothing fancy, but also not the point behind the pickup.
The biggest contribution this had to my collection was in the area of the Mets team sets, where I finished off 4 sets and and came within 1 or 2 cards on several others. Let's dive into the sets...
'95 Summit Bret Saberhagen
These are nice looking cards, even by today's standards I think. Poor Bret, no one told him about the Mets "kiss if death" when it comes to injuries.
'95 Summit Jeff Kent
$50 says you didn't remember Jeff Kent was a Met...
...kidding. Unless you really didn't remember, in which case you owe me $50.
'95 Summit Edgardo Alfonso
The foilness didn't photo well on the bottoms. Both the names and the team logo are gold foil, but it's a little darker than what Topps gives us now.
Next up is the next years offering from Summit...
'96 Summit Jason Isringhausen
I like dark colors, bright colors hurt my eyes. But I like the previous years Summit better although I still like the design.
And a couple Ordonez cards with the one comparing him to the Wizard. Kind of a stretch if you ask me but it makes for a good card!
'97 Pinnacle Todd Hundley
Now girls, I know what you're thinking but hey... sometimes you just gotta air 'em out. Otherwise, ya know. They just kindda, stank up the place.
My favorite part about Ordonez cards is that 98% of them are defensive shots. I love good fielding, it's what I was good at when I played as a kid so it's fun to see it on cards!
Lastly we have the 1999 Black Diamond set...
The design is pretty crazy without being Pacific crazy. This set was started and finished with this lot, so the Piazza went into the team sets rather than the PC.
Fun Fact: John Olerud has the highest single season batting average in Mets history at .353
So that's what the stack held for me. It was alot of fun to go through and it put a nice sized dent in alot of sets and brought just a little bit closer to world domination!
(...Joe)
...cardboard domination, I mean.

Jeff Kent played for the Mets?
ReplyDeleteYup yup! And before that he actually broke into the majors with the Blue Jays.
ReplyDeleteHey, let me know if you would be willing to trade that Fonzie card.
ReplyDelete